This gem builds Rails applications that can be embedded in the Shopify Admin.
This gem includes a Rails engine, generators, modules, and mixins that help create Rails applications that work with Shopify APIs. The Shopify App Rails engine provides all the code required to implement OAuth with Shopify. The default Shopify App generator builds an app that can be embedded in the Shopify Admin and secures it with session tokens.
- Use Shopify App
<= v7.2.8if you need to work with Rails 4.
This gem requires that you have the following credentials:
- Shopify API key: The API key app credential specified in your Shopify Partners dashboard.
- Shopify API secret: The API secret key app credential specified in your Shopify Partners dashboard.
- To get started, create a new Rails app:
$ rails new my_shopify_app
- Add the Shopify App gem to
$ bundle add shopify_app
- Create a
.envfile in the root of
my_shopify_appto specify your Shopify API credentials:
SHOPIFY_API_KEY=<Your Shopify API key> SHOPIFY_API_SECRET=<Your Shopify API secret>
In a development environment, you can use a gem like
dotenv-railsto manage environment variables.
- Run the default Shopify App generator to create an app that can be embedded in the Shopify Admin:
$ rails generate shopify_app
- Run a migration to create the necessary tables in your database:
$ rails db:migrate
- Run the app:
$ rails server
See Quickstart to learn how to install your app on a shop.
This app implements OAuth 2.0 with Shopify to authenticate requests made to Shopify APIs. By default, this app is configured to use session tokens to authenticate merchants when embedded in the Shopify Admin.
See Generators for a complete list of generators available to Shopify App.
You can find documentation on gem usage, concepts, mixins, installation, and more in
- Start with the Generators document to learn more about the generators this gem offers.
- Check out the Changelog for notes on the latest gem releases.
- See Troubleshooting for tips on common issues.
- If you are looking to upgrade your Shopify App version to a new major release, see Upgrading for important notes on breaking changes.
- Session repository
- Handling changes in access scopes
Mounting the Shopify App Rails Engine provides the following routes. These routes are configured to help install your application on shops and implement OAuth.
||OAuth redirect URI|
These routes are configurable. See the more detailed Engine documentation to learn how you can customize the login URL or mount the Shopify App Rails engine at nested routes.
To learn more about how this gem authenticates with Shopify, see Authentication.
Shopify's API is versioned. With Shopify App
v1.11.0, the included Shopify API gem allows developers to specify and update the Shopify API version they want their app or service to use. The Shopify API gem also surfaces warnings to Rails apps about deprecated endpoints, GraphQL fields and more.
See the Shopify API gem README for more information.