MTK: a Music Tool Kit for Ruby
MTK is a Ruby library and custom domain-specific language (DSL) for generating musical material.
MTK is flexible: You may use the custom music-generating language without writing any Ruby code, or you may avoid the custom language and only program in Ruby, or anywhere in between.
- A minimalist syntax (DSL) for generating musical patterns
- Read and write MIDI files
- Record and output realtime MIDI signals
- Sequence MIDI-compatible event streams
- Manipulate musical objects like pitch, duration, and intensity
- Generate deterministic and non-deterministic music via flexible patterns such as looping sequences and random choices
MTK works with Ruby 1.9, Ruby 2.0, and JRuby 1.7+.
JRuby is recommended for Windows users.
gem install mtk
Or for JRuby:
jgem install jmtk
Learn the command-line interface:
Or for JRuby:
Learn the MTK syntax with the interactive tutorial by running
Or for JRuby
Check out examples: https://github.com/adamjmurray/mtk/tree/master/examples
Read the MTK Ruby library documentation
About this project
This project is developed by Adam Murray (github.com/adamjmurray).
It is a free and open source project licensed under a permissive BSD-style license. I simply ask for credit by including my copyright in derivative works.
You can learn more about the development of this project at the development notes page.