whitehall is a Ruby on Rails content management application for content published by government departments and agencies.
- Govspeak A variation of Markdown used throughout whitehall as the general publishing format
whitehall is a Ruby on Rails app built on a MySQL database. It is deployed in two modes: 'admin' for publishers to create and manage content and 'frontend' for rendering some content under https://www.gov.uk/government and https://www.gov.uk/world. whitehall also sends most content to the publishing-api and rummager.
- alphagov/asset-manager: provides uploading for static files
- alphagov/publishing-api: documents are sent here, persisted and then requested
- alphagov/search-api: allows documents to be indexed for searching in both finders and site search
- alphagov/link-checker-api: checks all the links in an edition on request from the edition show page.
Running the application
Further setup instructions are available in the detailed setup guide.
Running the test suite
$ bundle exec rake
- Contributing guide
- Edition workflow
- How to publish a finder in whitehall
- Search setup guide
- Testing guide
Generating technical documentation
We use YARD for the technical documentation. You can generate a local copy with:
yard server --reload
You can also read the docs on rdoc.info.