OpenXml::Docx is a gem for creating .docx (Office Open XML) files. It's designed to validate before the document is generated, so (hopefully) any errors are caught prior to opening the file using software that can handle OOXML (like Microsoft Word, Apache Open Office, Google Docs, etc).
require "openxml/docx" text = OpenXml::Docx::Elements::Text.new("Some text that I want to include in my new OOXML document") run = OpenXml::Docx::Elements::Run.new run.bold = true run << text paragraph = OpenXml::Docx::Elements::Paragraph.new paragraph << run document = OpenXml::Docx::Package.new document.document << paragraph document.save("/path/where/i/save/things/test.docx")
Add this line to your application's Gemfile:
And then execute:
Or install it yourself as:
$ gem install openxml-docx
- Runs and text
- Formatting and styles for the paragraphs, runs, and text
It's important to note that lists goes off into the future quite a bit, therefore it's very likely that it will change. That being said, this is the plan for future releases:
- 0.7.0: Sections
- 0.8.0: Increased support for styles and fonts
- 0.9.0: Images and movies
- 0.10.0: Numbering and lists
- 0.11.0: Headers and footers
- 0.12.0: Footnotes and endnotes
- 0.13.0: Glossary documents
- 0.14.0: Annotations
- 0.15.0: Increased support for document-level settings
- 0.16.0: Tables
- 0.17.0: Embedded custom markup
- 0.18.0: Fields and hyperlinks
- 0.19.0: Mail merge
- 0.20.0: Layer on a DSL for making the whole thing smoother
After checking out the repo, run
bin/setup to install dependencies. Then, run
rake spec to run the tests. You can also run
bin/console for an interactive prompt that will allow you to experiment.
Reference for WordprocessingML can be found in Part 1 of the Fourth Edition of ECMA-376 (the Office Open XML Standard).
To install this gem onto your local machine, run
bundle exec rake install. To release a new version, update the version number in
version.rb, and then run
bundle exec rake release, which will create a git tag for the version, push git commits and tags, and push the
.gem file to rubygems.org.
Bug reports and pull requests are welcome on GitHub at https://github.com/openxml/openxml-docx.
- 0.6.0: Added additional run content
- 0.5.8: Added run properties
- 0.5.7: Added paragraph properties
- 0.5.0: First version with document content (i.e. paragraphs)
- 0.4.0: Rudimentary support for styles
- 0.3.0: First version supporting outputting in target format