The Mailing List can be found here:
The code can be found here:
For Non-GPLv3 commercial licensing, please see:
XLS Binary Documentation
The Spreadsheet Library is designed to read and write Spreadsheet Documents. As of version 0.6.0, only Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheets are supported. Spreadsheet is a combination/complete rewrite of the Spreadsheet::Excel Library by Daniel J. Berger and the ParseExcel Library by Hannes Wyss. Spreadsheet can read, write and modify Spreadsheet Documents.
Notes from Users
- Alfred: The library doesn't recognize cell formats in Excel created documents, which results in Floats returned for any number.
- Tom: This library only supports XLS format; it does not support XLSX format.
- Supported outline (grouping) functions
- Significantly improved memory-efficiency when reading large Excel Files
- Limited Spreadsheet modification support
- Improved handling of String Encodings
On the Roadmap
- Improved Format support/Styles
- Document Modification: Formats/Styles
- Formula Support
- Document Modification: Formulas
- Write-Support: BIFF5
- Remove backward compatibility code
Note: Spreadsheet is tested against all minor ruby versions through: 1.8.7 - 2.6.3
You will get a deprecated warning about iconv when using spreadsheet with Ruby 1.9.3. So replacing iconv is on the Roadmap as well ;).
sudo gem install spreadsheet
If you don't like RubyGems, let me know which installation solution you prefer and I'll include it in the future.
If you can use 'rake' and 'hoe' library is also installed, you can build a gem package as follows:
The gem package is built in pkg directory.
Bundler support added. Running tests:
Spreadsheet::Excel: Copyright (c) 2005 by Daniel J. Berger ([email protected])
ParseExcel: Copyright (c) 2003 by Hannes Wyss ([email protected])
This library is distributed under the GPLv3. Please see the LICENSE file.